Thursday, June 11, 2009

Book review: Art, chess and murder

A 500-year old murder, that is, with a young art restorer bent on solving the mystery she uncovers while working on a 15th-century Flemish painting. Here's a blog review of The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Reverte. 

I came across the review on Wordpress - the other Blogger - which apparently recommended the book to me since my name is the same as the heroine's. It's a slim recommendation, I realize, but the story sounds exciting. Let me know what you think if you read it. Might be good arty summer reading.

Here is Van Eyck's famously symbol-laden painting of the same era:

























Image:
Arnolfini Portrait
Jan van Eyck
1434
Oil on oak panel, 3 vertical boards
32.4 x 23.6 inches
National Gallery, London

2 comments:

  1. i came across your blog when i googled "art, chess, murder" - or some variation bc i couldn't remember the name of this book.

    I love your blog! this is such a neat compilation of contributions to art and literature. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bex! Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for commenting. I'd love to hear your review of the book. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete