Thursday, February 26, 2009

William Kentridge

South-African born artist William Kentridge is at the Henry Art Gallery . I've read a lot about him and I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

I'm posting this especially for my students who were recently introduced to charcoal as a medium! Here is one of his animated, charcoal-drawn videos, called Overpass.

Mr. Kentridge creates animation with his charcoal drawings. He is also a sculptor, set designer and director, with two theater pieces opening soon. 

One is a one-night performance, I Am Not Me, The Horse Is Not Mine, March 9 at Kane Hall at 7:30. The other show is at Pacific Operaworks, Seattle’s new chamber opera company, which will premiere Kentridge’s staging of the Monteverdi opera, The Return of Ulysses for the West Coast.
 
Here's a review of the Kentridge show at the Henry by Jen Graves.

You can also see Mr. Kentridge's prints at Greg Kucera Gallery through the end of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment